Just 5 ingredients and less than 5 minutes are all you need for your very own jar of liquid gold. This Easy Speculoos Cookie Butter is sweet, delicious and oh-so-satisfying, packed with caramelised gingerbread flavours in an easy to spread cookie butter.
Good lordy people it is raining, hailing and WINDY AS HECK over here in Adelaide right now.
We’ve been whinging for weeks about hardly seeing the sun but today the weather is truly taking the cake.
And not in a good way. 😛
With all that insanity raging outside, it’s been a stupidly wonderful day to stay indoors, crank up the music and get things fired up in the kitchen.
We were actually planning on sharing a different recipe with you, but a sudden desire for something sweet and delicious hit, and, well, who were we to stand in the way of tasty goodness?
Quick note: There may be a couple of affiliate links in this post, which means that we may get a few cents if you purchase something through the link. We want to make sure some of our hard-to-find ingredients are reachable at the click of a button. If you have any questions feel free to contact us.
So, in the spirit of spontaneous sweet-toothed inspiration, let us proudly present the wonder… the glory… that is, Dutch Speculoos Biscuit Spread, AKA this Easy Speculoos Cookie Butter recipe.
It’s better than nutella, better than salted caramel, and (gasp – dare I say it?) better than chocolate sauce.
Just look at it sitting there in all its gooey caramelised glory. It’s like all your cake batter dreams made reality in a magic little brown jar.
Hailing from Holland (the land of Snert (Dutch Split Pea Soup) and stroopwafels) this Easy Speculoos Cookie Butter Recipe is made with crushed spicy speculoos biscuits, evaporated milk, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. And that’s it.
Yep. Just 5 ingredients, 5 minutes, and you too can spend your afternoon licking your spoons and mixing bowls clean. 😛
We first came across this addictively silky smooth spread in Holland itself, and I’m not afraid to say that a handy little jar of Lotus brand ‘Biscoff’ spread made the rounds with us through quite a few countries during our European adventures.
One little spoonful was enough to file it down under our list of ‘MUST RECREATE AT HOME’ recipes, and here we’d like to give a little thanks to Jamieanne at Sweetest Kitchen for helping us bring our speculoos dreams into reality.
Easy Speculoos Cookie Butter Recipe
Okay, so. You’ve got your spread, it’s sitting there giving you the eat-me eyeballs. So now what do you do with it?
Well friend, do we have some tasty recommendations for you. Here’s everything our eyes AND stomachs agree we must try with our freshly made Speculoos spread:
- Speculoos fondue – our favourite dippables are bananas, strawberries and marshmallows 😉
- Dessert pizza base – oh heck yes
- Ice cream topping – bonus points for dedication if you top over cookie dough ice cream
- Cookie filling – sandwich between two pretzels and dip in chocolate because it’s a sound life decision
- Sandwich spread – slather over toast, bagels, muffins, waffles, addictive scrambled pancakes… or S’mores?!?!?
- As an ingredient – in oh-my-god-I-need-to-eat-that dishes like speculoos brownies, marshmallow treats or cheesecake, or even slathered on top of your porridge for breakfast. Oh yeah we did. 😛
Or, you know. Just eat it WITH A SPOON – the most traditional and elegant method of all. 😉
And really. When it’s this easy to make your very own speculoos cookie butter, and when it tastes this damn good, why wouldn’t you want to make our own. It’s like the world’s best cookie butter, available on demand. So guys, how will you be eating your Easy Speculoos Cookie Butter? 😉
If you love your super simple noms, you should definitely check out this ridiculously easy German Chocolate Mousse. Or for something completely different, why not try these Honeyed Pepper Clove Strawberries?
Click on the images below to jump to these tasty recipes:
- Pop your speculoos biscuits and brown sugar in a blender or food processor and give them a quick spin til nicely crushed and blended.
- Next pop in your evaporated milk and give it all another good spin for around a minute.
- Finally, throw in your butter, lemon juice and ground cinnamon and give everything another good pulse. The resulting mixture should be smooth, glossy, and damn-near irresistible. Good luck and enjoy your speculoos adventures!