Enjoy the Best Ever Australian Curried Sausages for seriously good comfort food, Aussie style. Grilled sausages, onion slivers and green peas smothered in a thick curry gravy – it’s a satisfying and nourishing dinner everybody will love.
This post first appeared over at Eazy Peazy Mealz where we’re contributors.
Okay guys, so today we want to share with you this classic Australian recipe for the Best Curried Sausages everrrrr.
Did you know that this tasty and unassuming little dish of curried sausages even has a really cool super-power?
Just one bite and its simple traditional flavours have the power to whisk you away to bygone times. It always reminds us of being kids and growing up in Australia. Of those simple, no-fuss family dinners that reached the table packed with flavour yet minimal effort.
It’s no surprise that the Best Ever Australian Curried Sausages were (and totally still are) an all-time favourite for both our families, standing the test of time to be cooked and eaten with just as much enthusiasm today as it was back then.
So why do we love them so much?
Quick note: There may be a couple of affiliate links in this post, which means that we may get a few cents if you purchase something through the link. We want to make sure some of our hard-to-find ingredients are reachable at the click of a button. If you have any questions feel free to contact us.
Well, our childhood selves loved curried sausages for being warm, nourishing, and full of that familiar curry flavour.
But we’re pretty sure our mums loved them for being quick and easy to prepare AND economical on the weekly budget.
Serve them dished up with a dollop of creamy mashed potato and there’s nothing more satisfying than Australian Curried Sausages on a busy weeknight.
Best Ever Australian Curried Sausages
You can easily have your own batch of Australian Curried Sausages on the table in less than 30 minutes. No doubt, if your family is anything like ours, those with plates will be licked clean in less than five. 😉
For the most authentic flavour, be sure to use Keen’s Traditional Curry Powder which you can pick up online or, fingers crossed, from your local supermarket.
And if you feel like skipping the mash, you can easily mix things up by serving on top of piping hot rice. Yum!
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce or 1 tsp gravy powder
- Heat the oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and fry until just cooked. Turn them often to cook evenly and avoid burning. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, then slice into 4-5 cm pieces.
- In the same frypan add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the curry powder, beef stock and sausages to the pan, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the peas and stir through.
- Mix the cornflour with 2 tbsp water in a small dish. Pour into the pan with the curried sausages and gently mix through. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened nicely.
- Optional step: Add ketchup or gravy powder and mix through for richer flavour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately over mashed potato or cooked rice.