Bite into a bowl of healthy, happy feels with this French Apple and Carrot Salad. Bursting with juicy goodness from apples, carrots and fresh cilantro, it’s deliciously easy to whip up as a quick snack or summery side dish.
Apples and carrots aren’t usually the first ingredients that come to mind when dreaming about salads. But you know what?
They really should be.
Because there’s something special about these innocent little fruits and vegetables.
Something I like to call the CRUNCH FACTOR.
You know what I mean, right? It’s the build up… the anticipation… the satisfaction of your first chomp into crisp, juicy apple or crunchy carrot heaven.
Mix them together and you’ve got the makings for a tasty, juicy little salad that packs a hell of a CRUNCH.
We have the lovely Caro and Sean Feely to thank for sharing this crunchalicious recipe with us.
As we wandered through their organic vineyards that day in France, it seemed life just couldn’t get any better.
But that was before they set us loose in their cosy cottage kitchen.
You’ve got no idea how excited we were… At that stage it’d been months since we’d had the chance to cook, and we’d been getting twitchy. 😛
When Caro invited us inside we jumped at the chance to experiment and get creative with some refreshing summer salads.
I can still hear her now:
“What about throwing together a quick salad of grated carrot and apple, and ooh! How about we add some cilantro from the garden? Oh good good, excellent. Yes, that sounds lovely!”
Left to our own devices with a glass or two of zesty Mille Fleurs, we set to it.
And in five minutes flat we had everything prepared for this Apple and Carrot Salad (not to mention a French Zucchini and Cured Duck Breast salad too).
French Apple and Carrot Salad
This French Apple and Carrot salad is so simple you could probably make it with your eyes closed, which is why it’s the perfect side dish or summery snack to happily farewell a growling stomach.
Feel free to make this salad as fancy or easy as you like. For a fancy version, go to town practicing your julienne skills on the apples and carrots. Or for a super easy / lazy mode version, just roughly grate them and you’re good to go.
Last but not least, the dressing. With a few simple ingredients like olive oil, apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard you’re on your way to a simple, zesty little homemade dressing that takes literally zero effort.
And that’s it. Too easy! 😀
- 3 carrots grated or julienne chopped
- 1 green apple grated or julienne chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro / coriander roughly chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Feel free to make this salad as fancy or easy as you like. For the fancy option, go to town practicing those julienne skills on your apples and carrots. For easy mode just grate them all and mix them together into a large salad bowl with the chopped cilantro and lemon juice.
- Now, in a small bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients and give it a good stir. Taste, and add a bit more of any ingredient til you’re satisfied with the flavour.
- Just before serving, stir the dressing and pour over fruit and garnish with a few extra cilantro leaves.