Yudofu Simple Hot Tofu Recipe
With a subtle blend of Pure Harvest Organic Tamari, dashi stock and mirin, this Yudofu (Japanese tofu recipe) is as nourishing as it is comforting. It's quick and easy to prepare, low in calories, and packed with nutritious flavour!
Prep Time 2 minutes
Cook Time 8 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 4 serves
For the Tofu:
- 1 block soft tofu approx 300 g, sliced into 4 pieces
- 1 sheet yakinori
For the Sauce:
- 2 tbsp Pure Harvest Tamari
- 2 tbsp mirin
- ½ tsp dashi stock dissolved in 2 tbsp water
For the Garnish:
- 1-2 spring onions finely sliced
- 1-2 tbsp katsuoboshi finely shaved bonito flakes
To start the tofu simmering, line a small saucepan or frypan with a sheet of yakinori seaweed, then top with your tofu pieces. Gently pour enough water to cover the tofu, then fire up your stove and simmer for around 6-8 minutes over a low to medium heat. Be sure not to let your tofu come to the boil or it will crumble apart!
Meanwhile, blend together your tamari, dashi stock dissolved in water, and mirin and give it a good stir.
When the tofu is ready, use a slotted spoon or spatula to carefully transfer the tofu to small serving bowls. (You can discard the yakinori now, too.)
Garnish your tofu with spring onions and katsuoboshi, then spoon over with your blended tamari sauce.
- Simmer the tofu carefully to keep its shape intact. Be sure not to let it come to the boil or it will crumble apart!
- We recommend serving your Simple Hot Tofu as a side dish alongside fluffy white rice and miso soup.
Variations & Substitutes
- For a cooling summer version of this dish, simply slice your tofu into pieces, garnish with spring onion and katsuoboshi and drizzle with tamari.
- For extra flavour, serve with wasabi paste and shichimi togarashi (Japanese blended chilli pepper spice mix)
- For a completely vegan/vegetarian dish, use vegetarian kombu dashi instead of regular dashi (which is made with bonito flakes).
Calories: 20kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 571mg | Potassium: 19mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 62IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Iron: 1mg