Temaki Sushi - Easy Hand-Rolled Sushi
This is the EASIEST way to make sushi at home! All you need to make Temaki Sushi (aka "hand-rolled" sushi), is yakinori seaweed, sushi rice and your favourite fillings. Wrap them up into a roll or cone shape and you are done!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 12 sushi rolls
Rice cooker (or saucepan)
Wide/flat-bottomed dish for cooling the cooked rice
Assorted dishes and bowls for serving the fillings
For the rice:
- 2 cups uncooked sushi rice
- water fill to line on rice cooker
For the Wrapper:
- 2 nori sheets per person sliced in half
For the Sushi Seasoning:
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar / rice wine vinegar it's the same product but often labelled differently
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch salt
For the fillings:
- 200 g tinned tuna
- 2-3 tbsp kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 carrot finely sliced
- 1 cucumber sliced into strips
Cook the rice using a rice cooker such as the Tefal 45-in-1 Multi + Rice Cooker
or on the stove (full stove-top instructions available here
). Once cooked, transfer to a wide, flat-bottomed pan or dish.
Next, we'll make the sushi seasoning. Pop the rice vinegar, sugar and salt into a small saucepan and heat gently until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Pour the mixture over the cooked rice and mix gently with a flat rice paddle so as not to break any of the grains. Allow the rice to cool completely before serving.
Meanwhile, place your tinned tuna in a small bowl and top with kewpie mayo. Mix until well combined, adding more kewpie mayonnaise if needed until you have a smooth texture and delicious flavour.
To Assemble Your Temaki Sushi:
Take up a sheet of nori (remember to slice or break it in half first) and place it in your hand or on a plate, then top with a scoop of rice in the top left corner in a rough, triangular shape.
Layer up with your chosen fillings such as the tuna/kewpie blend, carrot and cucumber, then fold up the bottom left corner and roll into a cone shape. If you're unsure how to do this, check out our how-to image above.
- Rinse the rice a few times before cooking to remove the starchy powder. This will give you the best and fluffiest texture once cooked.
- Never use a metal spoon when handling the rice. 1) it could damage the rice grains, not to mention the rice cooker bowl and 2) it could react with the rice vinegar.
- Don’t be tempted to cool the rice in the fridge to save time – it can damage the rice and change the flavour.
- Feel free to experiment with the sushi rice seasoning! There’s no hard and fast rule that says you have to use the whole lot. Add it in gradually and taste test the rice until you’re satisfied with the strength of the flavour.
Calories: 150kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 62mg | Potassium: 116mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 900IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 0.6mg