Deviled Potatoes – Sri Lankan Potato Fry (Ala Thel Dala)
This quick and easy recipe for Sri Lankan Deviled Potatoes features Kestrel Potatoes cooked to perfection and coated in lashings of flavour from aromatic curry leaves, turmeric, chilli and onion. Are you getting hungry yet? ;)
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 4 large potatoes kestrel or white – peeled and sliced into roughly 3cm pieces
- 5-10 fresh curry leaves or substitute with dried curry leaves (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 large brown onion halved and sliced into rings
- 1 ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 small red chilli sliced (optional for garnish)
Pop your potato pieces in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Cook until they're just starting to become tender, then drain. You don’t want to fully cook them now as we’ll be frying them in just a moment. And while mashed potatoes are delish, they aren't what we're after here.
Next, heat the oil in a large frypan and throw in your sliced onions. Stir fry over a medium heat until they soften and turn translucent.
Next, pop in your black mustard seeds, turmeric powder, chilli, fresh curry leaves and a sprinkling of salt. (And don't forget to take a moment to bask in that fragrance. Yum!)
Add your cooked potatoes and stir through til nicely coated. Fry for a few more minutes until the surface of the potatoes is golden brown.
Feel free to garnish with a few extra curry leaves and slices of fresh chilli if you want a little extra zing!
Serve with freshly cooked rice and/or your favourite curry.