Bulgogi - Korean BBQ Beef with Shiitake Mushroom
This mouthwatering Korean BBQ Beef Bulgogi features thin slices of tender beef and shiitake mushrooms marinated in an irresistible blend of soy, garlic, ginger, pear juice and sesame oil for a quick and easy mid-week dinner.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 serves
- 300 g tenderloin steak thinly sliced
- 4 shiitake mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 1 leek thinly sliced
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 spring onions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds for garnish
Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add in the thinly sliced beef, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, leek, onions and spring onions and mix well to evenly coat.
Pop the marinated bulgogi in the fridge for a minimum of 10 minutes (or even better, overnight) to allow all those saucy flavour to soak in.
Now heat the oil in a large frypan or wok. Separate the bulgogi into two batches and stir fry each for a few minutes until beef is cooked.
Transfer your piping hot Bulgogi into serving bowls and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve immediately with rice and lettuce.
- If you’d prefer a vegetarian version of this dish, omit the beef and add in extra shiitake mushrooms, button mushrooms or any of your other favourite mushroom varieties.
- If you can’t get your hands on Korean pear juice you can substitute with apple juice, pureed kiwifruit, minced onion or even a splash of coca-cola (say whaaaat?). They’ll all have this magic effect when added to a tasty marinade.
- As with anything marinated, bulgogi will taste way better the longer you let all those gorgeous flavours soak in. Marinating overnight will send your tastebuds on the ultimate ride, but a quick 10 minutes in the fridge will still deliver the tasty goods.
- If you don't have a charcoal grill, you can just as easily cook this in your favourite frypan or wok on the stove like we did.
Calories: 330kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 1080mg | Potassium: 611mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5526IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 3mg