Bulgarian Shopska Salad
Only three main ingredients are needed for this super quick and refreshing Bulgarian Shopska Salad: Tomato, cucumber and Bulgarian feta. Are you ready for the easiest, coolest, tastiest three ingredient salad in the world?
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
Servings 1 salad
- 1 tomato large, diced
- 1 cucumber continental, diced
- 100 g sirene cheese or substitute with feta
- 1 red pepper diced
- 50 g marinated olives
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Pop your diced tomatoes and cucumber in a serving bowl and give everything a stir until evenly distributed.
Optional step: Add in your optional ingredients such as red pepper, olives, olive oil, vinegar, and salt & pepper if you're using them and stir through again.
Let it snow! Grate that cheese right over the bowl until well and truly covered.
Serve immediately (or store for around 30 mins in the fridge).
- For an extra cooling salad be sure to keep your ingredients in the fridge right up until you're ready to prep. You can even pop them in the freezer for just a few minutes to cool them right down.
- For extra flavour, serve your shopska salad with vinegar, oil, salt or fresh parsley on the side. You and your guests can then tweak the flavours just how you like.
- Can shopska salad be made in advance? If you're not quite ready to eat, shopska salad can be made in advance and will store nicely in the fridge for around half an hour.
Variations & Substitutes
- If you can't source sirene cheese, substitute with Bulgarian feta, or any firmer feta that can be grated easily.
- For something a bit different, try adding diced salami to your shopska salad. This will quickly transform your side dish salad into a light main meal.
- For an even more refreshing experience, serve your shopska salad with rakia (Bulgarian fruit brandy) or beer.
Calories: 432kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 89mg | Sodium: 1911mg | Potassium: 1013mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 5585IU | Vitamin C: 178.4mg | Calcium: 573mg | Iron: 2.4mg