Indonesian Gado Gado Salad with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Take your taste buds on a Southeast Asian adventure with this crispy, crunchy, and oh-so-satisfying, Indonesian Gado Gado Salad with Spicy Peanut Sauce. It’s a deliciously cooling salad for a hot summer’s day, packed with healthy nutrients, protein and incredible spicy peanut flavour.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 2 people
For the sauce
- 100 g roasted peanuts
- 25 g palm sugar
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cm ginger finely chopped
- ½ to 1 small red chilli finely chopped
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup hot water
- salt & pepper to taste
For the salad
- 2 large lettuce leaves washed
- 2 eggs boiled, halved
- 2 potatoes diced into cubes and boiled
- 1 carrot julienne sliced
- 1 handful green beans blanched
- 50 g tempeh cubed
- 50 g fried tofu cubed
- vegetable oil
Place the peanuts into a mortar or food processor. Crush the peanuts, then add palm sugar, garlic, ginger and chilli and grind for a few minutes until well combined.
Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice and water. Mix well and add more water if needed until the sauce has a smooth consistency. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a frypan over high heat. Add tempeh and cook for a few minutes until browned. Add tofu and continue to cook until tofu is heated through.
Arrange salad ingredients onto serving plates and liberally coat with spicy peanut sauce.
Are you new to tempeh as an ingredient?
- Yes! You’re all set for Gado Gado goodness.
While you’re at the Asian grocery, feel free to pick up a bag of krumpuk or emping (Indonesian chips) for extra crunch.
- No? head to the fridge section of your nearest Asian grocery, and pick yourself up a pack. Slice, fry and add to your Gado Gado for a satisfyingly spicy treat. It’s got that deliciously chewy texture of a meat patty without the meat, so it’s perfect for vegetarians and vegans.
Calories: 631kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 164mg | Sodium: 1004mg | Potassium: 1717mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 7562IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 240mg | Iron: 11mg