Vietnamese Beef Salad
One bite of this Vietnamese Beef Salad and you’ll be ready to toss out those boring greens. Perfect as a flavour-packed main or a tasty tropical side dish, this salad will set your taste buds ZINGING with tender marinated beef, bright, juicy fruits and zesty Vietnamese herbs.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 sides
- 250 g beef thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 1 star fruit unripe, thinly sliced (substitutes: green apple sliced with a few drops of lime juice or just omit)
- 1 banana green, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 pineapple cut into bite size cubes
- 4-5 kumquats squeezed for juice for dressing and thinly sliced
- 2 lemongrass (4-5cm to root), thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Vietnamese mint
- 1 tbsp sesame toasted, for garnish
Ingredients for Dressing
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil or olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 passionfruit blended juice and seed
- 4 tsp kumquat juice or lime, lemon or orange juice
- Remaining juices from stir-frying beef
Place the thinly sliced beef in a bowl and add the soy, oil and garlic. Mix well to coat evenly and allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
Heat the oil in a pan over high heat and add 2 gloves of chopped garlic. Fry for two minutes until golden.
Add the marinated beef and stir fry until cooked. Remove from the pan, retaining the jus to use in the dressing.
Add all ingredients for the salad dressing into a bowl and mix.
Place the star fruit, banana, pineapple, kumquats, lemongrass and mint in a circle around a large serving dish. For best presentation, arrange the fresh ingredients by contrasting color around the outside of the dish, and place the cooked beef in the middle.
Pour the dressing over the the salad ingredients, and stir well to coat evenly.
Garnish with toasted sesame and serve immediately.
- For the star fruit: Substitute with green apple sliced with a few drops of lime juice or just omit
- For the kumquats: Substitute with lime, orange or lemon juice.
Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 1812mg | Potassium: 570mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 433IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 3mg