Green Papaya Vermicelli Salad
A healthy and cooling Burmese salad that can be served as a main or side dish.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 2-3 handfuls green papaya sliced julienne
- 1-2 handfuls dry vermicelli rice noodles
- 4 tsp turmeric oil
- 2 tbsp golden prawn powder
- 2-3 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 heaped tsp peanut powder
- 1 tsp jaggery substitutes: palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1-2 tsp dried chilli powder optional
- Juice of 1/2 Thai/Asian lime
For the Garnish
- 1-2 tsp fried shallots
- Fresh coriander leaves
Soak papaya strips in water for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, soak vermicelli noodles in hot water for a few minutes until soft. Drain.
Place the papaya and noodles in a bowl with the other ingredients. Mix well until the papaya is evenly coated.
For a spicier salad, add 1-2 tsp dried chilli powder.
Taste, and add more of any ingredient needed until you are happy with the flavour.
Garnish with fried shallots and fresh coriander and serve immediately.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 265mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 40g