Nuoc Mam Cham - Easy Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
Enjoy the delicious salty-sweet-sour flavour of Nuoc Mam Cham as an easy Vietnamese dipping sauce or salad dressing. This flavour-packed condiment is ready in less than two minutes!
Servings 1 bowl of dipping sauce
In a bowl, place in 2 tbsp water, 1 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tsp lime juice, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp chopped garlic and 1 finely chopped chilli.
Stir gently and serve.
- For the best flavour, serve immediately and at room temperature. You can also add more of any ingredient to suit your flavour preferences.
- Use this sauce for dipping spring rolls, cold rolls, pork, chicken or seafood, as well as drizzling over rice dishes or noodle salads.
- You can use hot water to help dissolve the sugar faster. Then allow to cool before serving.
- Finely chop the chilli and garlic, so you don’t end up crunching on a large chunk!
Variations & Substitutes
- How long does Vietnamese dipping sauce last? It should last up to around for a week when stored in the fridge.
- How should you store it? To keep it fresher for longer, always store nuoc mam cham in the fridge in an airtight container or bottle.
- Is nuoc mam cham gluten free? Yes, this dipping sauce is completely gluten free.
- We love using the fiery small Thai red chillies in this recipe, but any hot chillies you have on hand will work perfectly. Just make sure to adjust the amount until you have the perfect spicy heat to suit your tastebuds.
- For a vegan version, swap the fish sauce for soy sauce. (Optionally, make sure the soy sauce has no gluten to keep this recipe gluten free.)
- You can use lemon instead of lime juice, this will only slightly change the flavour while still giving the sauce its classic sour flavour. You can also use bottle lime or lemon juice if that’s easier to source than the fresh fruit, although the flavour won’t be quite as zingy.
- Some versions of this recipe are made with soda like lemonade or 7Up instead of still water.
Calories: 33kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1416mg | Potassium: 52mg | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin C: 10mg