Pork Gyoza - Japanese Dumplings
Loaded with pork, cabbage, spring onion and authentic Japanese seasonings, Japanese dumplings are a PINCH to make! Steam fry these tasty pork gyoza until crispy and golden, then serve or freeze for later. Includes tasty gyoza dipping sauce ideas.
Servings 30 dumplings
- 30-40 gyoza wrappers round
- 2 tbsp sesame oil for frying
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water some for sealing the dumplings, and some for steaming
For a quick dipping sauce
For an amped up dipping sauce
For the Filling
Place the pork mince, chopped cabbage, spring onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, sugar and garlic salt into a large mixing bowl. Add any extra seasonings to your taste, such as a spoonful of red miso paste if you’re including it. Mix with your hands until the ingredients are nicely combined.
To Fold the Gyoza
Take a gyoza wrapper in one hand and top with a spoonful of filling into the centre (around 1 tbsp, but adjust to suit the size of your wrappers if needed). Using your finger, dab a small amount of water all around the edge of the wrapper. This will be your glue.
For the authentic gyoza wrapper shape - begin by folding the wrapper over the filling to make a semicircle, then pinch one corner with your fingers to seal. Gather more of the wrapper and overlap your first section slightly to make a dart, then pinch gently to seal. Continue until the gyoza is fully sealed (about 4 darts), then repeat for your remaining gyoza. Alternatively you can use a dumpling press to make this process easier.
For an easier fold - If you don’t want to do the more traditional darts / pleated folds, you can do a simple straight edge instead. Just fold the wrappers over and seal into a half moon shape. Then pick them up and then tap the straight edge on your work surface to create the flat ‘bottom’ for frying.
Heat the sesame oil in a large flat frying pan. Add the gyoza and fry on a high heat until the bottoms turn a toasty golden brown (1-2 mins).
Reduce the heat to low and add around 1/4 cup water into the pan. Be careful – the oil will spit if it’s too hot. Be ready to use the frying pan lid as a shield. Cover and steam the gyoza on low heat until all the water has evaporated and the gyoza are cooked through (around 2-3 mins).
For the Dipping Sauce(s)
Choose your favourite from the above ingredients list (or why not do both?)
Add all ingredients for your chosen sauce into a small dipping bowl, give it a stir and serve alongside your freshly cooked gyoza dumplings.
- Wrappers - If you can only find square wrappers, you can still use them - just use a round cookie cutter to cut them into circles. Cover your wrappers with a damp towel while working to keep them from drying out.
- Filling - Always use your hands to mix the filling as this will give you the best texture and get all those ingredients evenly mixed. You can use food-prep suitable gloves if you prefer to keep your hands clean.
- Frying / Spitting Oil - Be extra careful when cooking the gyoza. If the oil is hot it will spit when you add the water. Use your frying pan lid as a shield!
- Keep Fresh - Either Cook or freeze your homemade gyoza straight after preparing them. This will ensure the wrappers don’t become soggy from the moisture in the filling.
- Don’t Overcook - Just 3-4 mins should be enough to cook the dumplings through perfectly.
- Easier Folding Method - If you don’t want to do the more traditional darts / pleated folds, you can do a simple straight edge instead. Just fold the wrappers over and seal into a half moon shape. Then pick them up and then tap the straight edge on your work surface to create the flat ‘bottom’ for frying.
- Tweak the Flavour - Get creative with fillings. Switch up the protein, add grated carrot, or add red miso paste or shiitake mushroom for extra umami flavour.
- Add Heat - You can add Japanese rayu (aka La Yu - sesame oil blended with chilli powder) in with the filling mixture or add it to the dipping sauces for an extra burst of heat and flavour.
- Veggies - To make things even easier, swap the cabbage for finely chopped coleslaw mix.
Calories: 68.76kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.62g | Protein: 2.85g | Fat: 3.86g | Saturated Fat: 1.04g | Cholesterol: 7.88mg | Sodium: 230.85mg | Potassium: 51.46mg | Fiber: 0.19g | Sugar: 0.48g | Vitamin A: 39.05IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 9.44mg | Iron: 0.51mg