Haloumi Salad with Mint
Whether grilled or pan-fried, haloumi salad has never been easier. Full of fresh tomato, baby spinach, mint and a quick squeeze of lemon juice, it's the side dish you'll want to eat as a main.
Servings 4 sides
- 250 g haloumi sliced into 1cm strips
- 50 g baby spinach washed
- ¾ cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 handful mint roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus a drizzle over the salad
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch Salt & pepper to taste
Heat half the olive oil in a pan over a high heat.
Fry the haloumi for a minute or two each side until golden brown.
Place the baby spinach and cherry tomatoes on a serving dish.
Top with cooked haloumi, drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice and season with black pepper.
- Serve immediately, for the freshest results.
- For the best flavour, use a high quality extra virgin olive oil. Never use a basic cooking oil or vegetable oil as they will likely spoil the flavour.
- Wanting extra flavour? Drizzle the grilled or fried haloumi with oil, lemon and dried oregano.
- Serve your freshly prepared salad in a tasty Mediterranean wrap for haloumi salad on the go!
- What goes with haloumi salad? Haloumi salad can be eaten on its own, or served with a slice of crusty bread. It's also a perfect side dish to savoury foods such as barbecued meats, fish, and chicken.
- What dressing should you pop on your haloumi salad? The dressing for this easy salad is a simple, flavour-packed blend of olive oil, lemon juice and cracked black pepper. No need to add salt as the haloumi brings plenty of its own.
- Can you make the salad in advance? Make haloumi salad just before serving, so it retains the squeaky, chewy texture and the salad leaves stay crispy and fresh.
- Make this salad with haloumi your way! Try our simple recipe above, or amp it up with your favourite ingredient combos. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Orange & mint
- Pesto & pine nut
- Avocado & lime
- Roast beetroot, pumpkin & lentil
- Mediterranean style - black olives, roasted red or yellow peppers and caper berries
- Fresh pomegranate seeds, or drizzle with pomegranate molasses
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Sodium: 912mg | Potassium: 110mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1306IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 762mg | Iron: 1mg