Teh Tarik Recipe - Malaysian Pulled Tea
This Southeast Asian sweet drink, locally known as teh tarik or "pulled tea", is a blast to make in the kitchen (or out on the back lawn where it’s safe). Test your pouring skills to the max for the perfect froth on top of this addictive bitter sweet teh tarik recipe.
Servings 2 drinks
Place teabags in a mug and pour over boiling water. Steep for a few minutes until tea is dark and intense, then allow to cool for a few more minutes.
Add 2 tbsp condensed milk and stir until spoon is clean.
For the adventurous:
(Caution: Please be careful with hot tea to avoid a nasty burn!)
Pour the tea into a stainless steel jug, then pour into a mug or tea glass. Try to gain as much height as possible while pouring. Repeat until tea is frothy.
Serve hot or over plenty of ice for a chilled summer drink.
- Carefully increase the height as you pour the tea between the two jugs. This will help your aim get better as you go, but also help the tea become more and more frothy.
- For a delicious winter drink, serve hot! For a refreshing summer alternative, serve over ice.
- Does teh tarik have caffeine? When made with regular black tea, teh tarik does contain caffeine. Black tea is naturally lower in caffeine than coffee
- What is the difference between teh tarik vs milk tea? Teh tarik is usually less sweet than other styles of milk tea as it is made with condensed milk only. Some styles of milk tea are made with condensed milk AND sugar - definitely a treat for the sweet-tooths out there!
Variations & Substitutes
- Instead of using the traditional pulling method, you can get a similar frothy effect with a handheld milk frother or the steam wand on a coffee machine (which helps if you’re worried about messy kitchens or burnt hands). You can also use a tea infuser if you have one.
- Authentic teh tarik uses tea dust or loose leaf tea strained in a cotton tea strainer, however our homemade version uses tea bags for a quick, convenient alternative.
Calories: 64kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 32mg | Potassium: 74mg | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 53IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 57mg