Kartoffelkäse - Potato Cheese Spread
Smothered on crusty bread, Kartoffelkäse (Potato Cheese Spread) is like putting mashed potatoes in the limelight it deserves. Funnily enough, this 4 ingredient recipe actually contains no cheese at all.
Servings 4 sides
Place the potatoes in a large pot. Fill with water and boil until potato is soft and easy to mash with a fork or potato masher. Mash until smooth.
Add sour cream, one dollop at a time and mix. Continue adding the remaining sour cream, mixing until you achieve a nice spreadable texture.
Add spring onion and raw onion and stir until combined.
Serve with slices of crusty bread. (Optional) sprinkle with a little salt and pepper to taste, and any leftover spring onion to garnish.
- A great way to use up any leftovers is to add flour and an egg, then form into a burger and fry in a pan.
- If you prefer not to include raw onions you can gently fry them in a pan until soft and translucent, but avoid caramelising as this will change the flavour.
- Serve it hot or cold - it's completely up to you.
Variations & Substitutes
- How long does kartoffelkäse last in the fridge? We recommend eating this up within 2-3 days after making for the best texture, flavour and freshness.
- What's the difference between kartoffelkäse and erdäpfelkas? There is no difference in the dish, just the origin of the name. Both names translate to Potato Cheese. Kartoffelkäse is the German translation and Erdäpfelkas is the Austrian translation.
- Is this a vegan or vegetarian recipe? Potato cheese is vegetarian, and you can easily swap out the sour cream for a vegan version of this creamy side dish.
- If you don't have sour cream, you could try substituting it with half natural yoghurt and half thickened cream.
- For a slightly Asian twist, add a dollop or two of Kewpie mayonnaise for even more flavour.
- Spring onion can easily be substituted, feel free to use chives or parsley instead if you have those on hand.
Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 14mg | Potassium: 556mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 44IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 4mg