Vegan Slow Cooked Sticky Soy Mushrooms
Delectable Sticky Soy Mushrooms are slow cooked in a flavour-packed, vegan friendly blend of soy, garlic and mirin. Perfect as an appetiser or mid-cooking snack, with only 5 ingredients and 5 minutes prep!
Servings 6 mushrooms
Pull out the mushroom stems by pushing away from you with both thumbs until they 'pop' out.
Mix the soy sauce, mirin and garlic in a small pouring dish or jug.
Pour the soy mixture into the mushrooms 'cups'.
Drizzle the oil into a saucepan over low heat and carefully place the mushrooms into the pan. Cook slowly for about 10-15 minutes until the soy mixture starts to bubble. Add more oil if necessary to prevent them from sticking.
Once the mushrooms have softened, flip them over and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or so.
Flip occasionally, until the sauce has reduced, covering the mushrooms to become dark and sticky.
Serve whole, or sliced.
- Ingredient tips:
- Mushrooms - We use both white button mushrooms and shiitake varieties for this recipe. You can use almost any mushroom as long as it has a deep enough cup to hold the sauce liquid while it slowly cooks.
- Soy Sauce - Japanese style Kikkoman soy sauce works for this dish. You can also sub with tamari.
- Mirin - Mirin is a sweet Japanese rice wine for cooking. You can also use 1/2 tsp of sugar if you need.
- Minced Garlic - Freshly chopped or minced garlic works. You can also add 1/2 tsp of ginger for an extra flavour hit if you like.
- Vegetable Oil - Using an oil such as peanut, corn or canola will allow you to slow cook the mushrooms without the pan smoking because of their high smoke points.
- Mushroom Stems - If you want to reduce waste, you can slice off the very ends of the stalks and add them into the mushrooms once you've flipped the cups over so the stalks can cook and take on the flavour as well.
- To clean mushrooms prior to cooking, wipe them with a damp cloth or lightly rinse in cool water (only if they're really dirty) and pat dry with a paper towel. Avoid soaking them.
- Serve whole, garnished with slices of spring onion and a little shichimi spice mix, or slice them up into neat little bite-sized strips - it's totally up to you!
- Servings - This recipe is for 2 people, and 3 mushrooms per person. Double the recipe for 4 people and so on.
Calories: 29kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 237mg | Potassium: 72mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Iron: 1mg