This refreshing spicy Yum Nua Thai Beef Salad recipe ticks all the boxes – it’s super healthy and packed full of flavour. So grab some thinly sliced beef, crisp salad veggies, and a handful of dressing ingredients and you’ll be ready to whip up your own Yum Nua Thai Beef Salad in no time.
When we’re looking for that perfect blend of…
☑ Healthy ingredients
☑ Heaps of flavour
☑ Quick prep time
… Thai cuisine is where it’s at! There’s something so intensely satisfying about the balance of spicy + sour + salty flavours married to soft, tender beef, aromatic herbs and refreshing veggies all dressed up in one gorgeous salad bowl.
I mean, how can you not feel healthy just looking at this colourful salad?
Spicy and savoury with a hint of sweetness, this Thai beef salad is guaranteed to set your mouth watering!
First up: the beef:
Today we’re using thin veal steaks cooked medium rare, but you can use any cut you prefer.
For the salad ingredients, we turn to fresh mint and coriander leaves, spring onions, red onions, tomatoes, and (if you can find them) seedless cucumbers. (This just helps to stop the salad dressing from being watered down, but it’s no big deal if you use regular cucumbers instead. )
For the sauce, you’re after 6 main ingredients:
- Lime juice
- Fish sauce
- Sugar – palm sugar, raw sugar or brown sugar will do the job
- Birds eye chilli(s) – use as much or as little as you like
The result is a flavour packed salad that is tender and juicy, crunchy and aromatic and super refreshing all at once.
Yum Nua – Spicy Thai Beef Salad
For the ultimate flavour-punch, you could choose cook your beef over a charcoal grill for extra succulent flame-grilled flavour. But if charcoal is out of the question, it’ll be just as tasty cooked on the stove.
Serve as a main dish with fluffy jasmine rice, or on its own as a light and refreshing snack.
Oooh quick PS. For an equally delicious Thai dish with a touch more comfort-factor, check out this beloved Australian-Thai fusion recipe for spicy red-curry infused Choo Chee Chicken.
For the beef
- 200 g beef steak or cut of your choice
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the salad
- 4-6 lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 medium cucumber halved and sliced into half moons
- 1 small bunch coriander stems and leaves, chopped
- 1 small bunch mint chopped
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp lemongrass finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1-2 birdseye chillies or to taste
- First up, heat the oil in a frypan over high heat. Season your steak with salt and pepper, then pop it in the pan. Sear for two minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Set aside to cool before slicing into small strips.
- Assemble your salad ingredients as artfully or messily as you like. You can do this in a large mixing bowl or straight into your serving bowls according to your preference.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together all of your dressing ingredients and give it good stir to allow the flavours to meld. Pour as much or as little dressing as you like!