Sago Pudding with Coconut & Mango
Sago pudding is so light and refreshing, we love the tropical flavours and chewy texture of the sago pearls. It's a gorgeous dessert that tastes amazing, the perfect end to a delicious meal!
Servings 6 Servings
In a medium saucepan, pour in your sago, coconut cream and water and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
Place sago on medium heat and stir continuously to avoid sticking. The sago should cook through and become sticky in around 5-10 minutes.
Remove sago from the heat and add in your sugar, stirring through.
Spoon mixture into dessert glasses and allow to cool.
Top with mango, desiccated coconut and mint, then chill until ready to be served.
Tips to get this recipe just right:
- Sago Pearls - We prefer to use small white sago pearls (sometimes called sago seeds). You can sometimes find these in different colours or flavours, but we like the unflavoured white ones so we can add our own flavour. You can use large pearls or tapioca pearls if you prefer or if that's all you can find.
- Coconut Cream - We use coconut cream, but you can also use coconut milk which is a bit thinner in texture. Both have a deliciously rich coconut flavour.
- Mango - You can use fresh or tinned mango slices depending on your preference. We actually love using tinned fruit that comes with its own syrup, it adds extra sweetness to your topping!
- Soak the Sago - When making the sago, the trick is to soak it in the water and coconut first for half an hour to help soften it and quicken the hands-on time it takes to stir it continuously on the stove.
- For a Spicier Version - try adding star anise and cinnamon while simmering the sago pearls.
- For a Tropical Blend - top with young coconut, mango and a squeeze of fresh lime. You could also add a spoonful of caramelised ginger or pandan essence for a sweet vanilla aroma.
- To Freeze - It's best to store the pudding separately from any toppings so that it will be easier to reheat. You can freeze it for around three to four months.
- To Reheat - Simmer or steam over a low heat and keep stirring until it's heated through and the pearls are soft and chewy once more. Top with your favourite fresh toppings and serve warm or cold depending on your preference!
Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Sodium: 40mg | Potassium: 217mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 42IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 2mg