Drizzled in a mix of sweet soy sauce, sriracha, and sesame oil, this easy Mee Goreng recipe will have your tastebuds flaming with flavour!
Why We Love This Recipe
These sweet + salty + spicy Malaysian noodles burst with a simple blend of South East Asian flavours that are so addictive you won’t want to stop. They’re easy to make, with simple ingredients you’re likely to have in the pantry, especially if you love cooking spicy Asian recipes.
We could happily eat these noodles for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
CLICK HERE TO SAVE RECIPE TO PINTEREST
How To Cook Mee Goreng
Mee Goreng (sometimes spelled mi goreng) is super simple to make at home. All you need are instant noodles (don’t worry about the flavour sachet, you can save that for another time) and a handful of tasty ingredients to make your sauce.
- To make the mee goreng sauce, mix kecap manis, sriracha chilli sauce, sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, curry powder + salt & pepper in a small bowl and pop aside.
- Fire up your wok over a medium heat, get that oil sizzling nicely, then throw in your freshly cooked instant noodles.
- Pour in your super tasty sauce and toss everything around the wok til it’s nice and even.
- Optional step: Push your noodles to the edge of the wok then crack in the eggs and fry ’em how you like ’em.
- Pop your noodles in serving bowls, then top with fried eggs and crispy shallots.
Mee Goreng Key Ingredients
Two key items on the hit list are kecap manis (aka Indonesian sweet soy sauce)…
… and sriracha, a fiery hot sauce and super popular condiment in South East Asian cuisine.
Another key ingredient in this dish, both for texture and flavour, is crispy fried shallots. To keep this recipe extra simple we used pre-bought fried shallots which we picked up from our local Asian grocery.
Variations & Substitutes
- If you’re not all that into the spicy burn, feel free to replace sriracha with tomato sauce for a milder flavour.
- You can easily make fried shallots at home, rather than buying pre-fried shallots.
If you’re lovin’ that Asian vibe you might want to check out these other awesome eats!
This Malaysian Mee Goreng recipe would be the perfect side dish to any of these! 😉
★ Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating below!
- Large wok
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp crispy fried shallots
- To make the mee goreng sauce, mix the kecap manis, sriracha, sweet chilli, soy, curry poder and salt & pepper in a small bowl and pop aside.
- Fire up your wok over a medium heat, get that oil sizzling nicely then throw in your freshly cooked noodles.
- Pour in your sauce and toss everything around the wok til it's nice and even.
- Optional step: Push your noodles to the edge of the wok then crack in the eggs and fry 'em how you like 'em.
- Pop your noodles in serving bowls, then top with fried egg and crispy shallots.